james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter M. Goldstein" <peter_m_goldst...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: James and LDAP
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2002 05:05:33 GMT

Kris,

> I'm interested in getting James tied into my company's LDAP service. I
> know
> that the documentation update is in progress, so I perused the source
> get
> a feel for how to do this. That's when I saw this:
>
>  * This clas is a dummy for the proposal!
>
> Having looked through the mail archives as well, and found little
chatter
> about the LDAP support, I am curious to know if it was deferred or
> abandoned
> for a future with JAAS.

I don't think there has been any active development lately, and I don't
think it's been because of a conscious deferral for a future with JAAS.
I think it's basically not been a high priority because of a lack of
demand.

> More importantly though, this one is a need for me, so I'm going to
> implement it. I would like to get in line with whatever direction the
> project may already be headed, so I don't create something useless to
> everyone else. Feedback?

This is a great time for you to get involved.  Part of the v3 design
will be a discussion of user repository interfaces.  We're about to
start those discussions.  An LDAP perspective would be valuable.

If your time frame is short, I'd encourage you to implement the current
UserRepository interface and check the behavior.  We can then morph it
along with the other repositories when we do the redesign.

> BTW, great piece of software, it's been very helpful. That's why I'm
here.

Glad to hear it.

--Peter