james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Hontvari Jozsef <hontva...@solware.com>
Subject postmaster configuration variable
Date Sat, 09 Nov 2002 01:39:18 GMT
         <!-- This is the postmaster email address for this mail server. -->
  +      <!-- Set this to the appropriate email address for error
reports -->

This adds at least one half of the info :-) I had a very unpleasant
experience with the postmaster address, as it turned out, the supplied
address also becomes the default FROM address of outgoing error emails. So
if somebody is not cautious enough and enters his private email address it
will be widely published. I think the only generally acceptable value of the
postmaster configuration parameter is postmaster@mycompany.com.

However the outgoing error messages should be sent with an empty from
address <>. There are not too much relation between the two address. In
addition there is some replacement machination with the postmaster address,
which I cannot follow. IMHO this common parameter should be removed.