james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Darrell DeBoer <darr...@apache.org>
Subject Introduction (was Re: cvs commit: jakarta-james/proposals/imap/java/org/apache/james/imapserver/commands CommandTemplate.java)
Date Mon, 11 Nov 2002 05:04:10 GMT
G'day,

I thought I'd better (re)introduce myself, as I've been inactive in James
since February or so, and there seem to be a few new names around (which is
fantastic). I'm currently looking for work in Brisbane, Australia, and given
the state of the job market I might have a fair bit of time for open-source
coding coming up.

I started working on James mid-last-year, when I contributed some patches to
the UsersRepository; I then helped to make database storage simpler by using
direct JDBC with the SQL defined in a single resource file
(sqlResources.xml).

Around Christmas last year, I did a big bunch of refactoring on the IMAP
proposal, as I continually swayed between rewriting it from scratch and
working with what was there. I ripped up some HUUUUGE classes and pulled the
code for handling individual commands into separate classes. At the same
time, I setup a file-based testing framework for protocol testing, which is
very similar to (but not as nice as) what Harmeet has recently added as the
ProtocolSimulator. I haven't had a chance to look closely at the changes that
have been made since I dropped off the radar, but will do shortly.

I'm ashamed to admit that I was the cause of that horrible hard-coded
"daz2000" reference that was removed recently from one of the source files.
Obviously committed that without proper perusal.

I plan to do a bit more work on the IMAP proposal in the next few months. How
much work, I can't be sure, and please feel free to help out, with
contributions to code, constructive criticism, or flame mail ;).

ciao,
Daz