james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Murdoch <adammurd...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JAMES SMTP API sub-project proposal
Date Sun, 24 Nov 2002 00:52:26 GMT
On Sat, 23 Nov 2002 04:57 pm, Peter M. Goldstein wrote:

> > Just out of interest, how much scope is there in v3 for changing the
> > Mailet API, and the way james is partitioned into components?
>
> For the API there is tremendous scope for revamp.  One of the stated
> goals for v3 is a new version of the Mailet API.  Input is welcomed.  :)
>
> As far as repartitioning James component-wise, I haven't heard much
> discussion of this aside from my comments about RemoteDelivery.  I'm
> sure we'd be open to discuss, although I don't think anyone wants to
> rewrite everything from scratch.  So the reaction to a repartitioning
> request would likely depend on the stated goals as well as the amount of
> effort involved.

Oh, I'm not talking about rewriting everything (or even anything).  Looking
through the code, it strikes me that things are a little more tangled than
they need to be (eg the SMTP handling).  It would be good to tease things
apart a little: split up some components, decouple others, move some
responsibilities around a little, rename a few things, that kind of stuff.
Evolutionary, small-step, refactoring type changes.

I guess my question should have been: What degree of backwards compatibility
does v3 need to support for the v2.1 service interfaces?

--
Adam