james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest-made James test site - sneak preview
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:17:39 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Nicola,
>
> What options exist to make it look more visually appealing?

Make a skin for it :-)

> Maybe it is
> just me, but when I compare the Forrest-made test site to Danny's Maven-made
> test site at http://jakarta.apache.org/~danny/, I prefer the look of the
> latter.
>
> Specifics:
>
>   - I prefer the smaller font size
>   - I prefer the narrower menu, leaving
>     a wider main area, and less scrolling

      Yes, this is not nice now.

>   - I prefer having section headings
>   - The intra-page section anchors are nice,
>     but not at the expense of everything else.
>
> YMMV, but those are my immediate visual responses.  And I am assuming that
> all of that is tunable.

It is :-)

> Please compare the two sites, and let me know what
> you think.  :-)

Actually, it's really difficult for me to see which is best, since both
are nice skins and have a very different "taste". Forrest skin is more
"book"-like.

Forrest is easily skinnable, so you all can decide if you want the
Tigris skin, the Forrest one, a mix of the two or something elso.
For example, look at the Avalon site http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/
(link put for easy jumping) as an example of a Forrest skin similar to
the tigris one but not quite.

Let's see what other think and what they prefer. If you change the page
HTML of the Forrest one, for example, to suit better your taste, and
other agree on it, I would be happy to port it in a skin for you.

Look for example at the new Krysalis skin example
http://www.krysalis.org/testdir/index.html to see an adaption of the
Forrest skin.

> 	--- Noel

             - verba volant, scripta manent -