james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Release Plan v2.1 (update)
Date Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:55:39 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Serge,
>
> Never discussed, and Danny is probably the only one who has been active and
> CVS knowledgable enough to do it.  I agree with you.  I'd say I'm sorry, but
> I didn't even have commit rights until recently, and I still don't know more
> than just the basic CVS commands.
>
> Perhaps you, Charles and Danny could put together a brief CVS-for-Committers
> file?  :-)
>
> 	--- Noel

I would leave CVS guides to others more knowledgeable (there are three
decent guides on http://jakarta.apache.org/site/library.html).

But looking over our CVS repository, I would say we could benefit from
standardizing on a tag/branching process.  I would put forward this:

1. Tagging on publishing builds

Aside from nightly builds, when we put a build on the website (an alpha,
beta, release candidate, final release), we tag that in CVS using the
naming convention

Possible levels include "alpha", "beta", "rc" (release candidate), and
"fcs" (first customer ship, i.e., final release).

For example...
- build_2_1_rc_1 for James 2.1 RC1
- then build_2_1_rc_2 for James 2.1 RC2
- then build_2_1_fcs for James 2.1 (final)
- then build_2_1_1_rc1 for James 2.1.1 RC1
- then build_2_1_1_fcs for James 2.1.2
etc...

2. Branching on these tags as needed

If a release has been made public for some time, new development has
proceeded on HEAD, and there is a need to apply patches to make a minor
or dot release on an old version, we branch on that tag, using the
following naming convention:

For example, we had James 2.1 a1 out for a long time, so normally you
wouldn't branch on an alpha release, but if we wanted to patch that
version to make small releases while we were working out this current
build, we could create a branch_2_1_a_1.

Comments?

--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com