james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Harmeet Bedi" <harm...@kodemuse.com>
Subject Re: Testing as a separate project - Re: cvs commit: jakarta-james/proposals/TLP proposal.txt
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2002 07:01:11 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Noel J. Bergman" <noel@devtech.com>
> Harmeet,
>
> I have to say that I am unsure.  Yes, I think that there should be a
testing
> sub-project.  But is this something that needs to be dealt with now, or
> afterwards as a PMC?

Either way seems good. It maybe a new proposal idea, but testing has been
talked about for a looong time. A separate project may be the best way to
pull together, focus testing effort and invite wider participation for
testing.

> > Objective would be to have Protocol tests for
> > - RFC Compliance
> > - Load Testing
> > - Performance Tesing.
>
> Yes in concept.  And tools for doing those things.  One thing I don't know
> is whether or not the testing sub-project ought to work with the JMeter
> folks to get our protocols into that code, or whatever project might
replace
> it.

There are lot of Mail Servers, open source and otherwise. It would be useful
and help harness energy and provide a common testing project for Mail
Protocol Testing.

There is good code and ideas already.

I think this combination can yield a good structure to build tests on.
- Ant tasks (already there.)
- Protocol Simulation ability (in 2 places in James.)
- A scripting/template facility to tie things together (Written locally but
not committed. Requires library addition, long emails etc)
- Possible Junit tie in - (already there)

The main problem would be writing the large number of tests. For this we
could interest developers from other opensource projects. There seems to be
a lot of common value that can be realized.

Having a general testing project would have these benefits.
- Interest developers from other open source or commercial projects. There
seems to be a lot of protocol servers and testing could provide common value
to all at the same time help James.
- Testing is a big and important task. It would be good to have a separate
validation project.

Regd: JMeter and other testing projects. I think we should investigate this.
load/performance analysis would be esp. useful to reuse.
I think it is good to leverage where possible, but we should have rfc
testing for mail protocol as the primary goal. I don't think JMeter would
care much about testing n variants of SMTP protocol.

> Testing could become a pretty consuming project

Exactly. If we can have a James neutral sub-project defination we may be
able to solicit help from other mail server projects and reduce our testing
burden. At the same time build a community that benefits from this.

> requiring someone to focus
> on it every bit as much as a release manager has to focus on a release.

I have no problem with doing this. Darrell has done a lot of work. You have
a lot of ideas on this. There may be others passionate about this too.

Harmeet