james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Brad Walker <BWal...@studentadvantage.com>
Subject Multiple james servers sharing a MySql spool
Date Tue, 05 Nov 2002 18:13:35 GMT
If this topic has already come up, apologies for the repetition.  I'm
wondering how possible it would be (and if it is even a good idea at all) to
have multiple james servers share a common sql mail spool. The thought is
that if you have a james server farm, by sharing a spool, you can hedge
against the fact that when one machine goes down, all of the messages in
that machine's spool will be left in limbo until that machine comes back up.
If the james servers could share a spool repository, no one server would
have sole responsibility for the complete processing of any one message.

As I write this, a few things come to mind:

1. Record locking would need to be constructed such that only one james
server works on a particular message at a given time. Maybe this means that
once server A has started processing a message, only server A can finish
processing that mesage. I guess if each server had an identical
configuration, you could let any of the servers in the farm process the
message for which ever processor it happens to be on.

2. The entire server farm would have a single point of failure ( the one
database), although that's not a problem with James itself.

3. Assumtptions would have to be made about how well the database server
could scale to handle the load of x number of james servers.

Anyway, thoughts?

Brad D. Walker
Sr. Software Engineer
Student Advantage, Inc.