james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: JAMES SMTP API sub-project proposal
Date Thu, 28 Nov 2002 14:48:11 GMT
> I believe I see the problem here.  We are in danger of violent
> agreement.  It appears that you are talking about a Mailet container
> whose implementation characteristics have very little in common with the
> current JAMES server.  (Other than the handoff of a mail object to a
> mailet class.)  Are you proposing that a framework be provided that
> would make the writing of a custom Mailet container a relatively simple
> exercise?  Or that a lightweight container actually be implemented?  I
> would certainly be happy with either of these.

Actually both are under consideration, I believe that the changes we're (actually not!) discussing
will make writing a container easier, *and* that we may then well produce such a container
and a standalone run-time for it as a mailet test-bed for developers to use to de-bug their
mailets.

Potential features would be for the container to run *usefully* in a debugger and to process
mail placed manually in a file-system spool, neither of which are exactly possible with James.

d.