james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: JAMES SMTP API sub-project proposal
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:44:29 GMT
Aaron,

While I sympathise with your goal I think it'd be inapropriate to modify James in this way,
as it is the goal of the James project to provide James as a complete solution, not a set
of components.

However I consider this if you felt it met your needs..

1/ modify the handler for incoming SMTP such that it could be extended by "verb classes" to
support new SMTP verbs. This would have to be reflected with similar handlers for all protocols
James supports or we'd lose design integrity. It would also have to be married in an intelligent
way to the mailet spoolmanager so that it could insert mail without direct knowledge of the
implementation.

You could then use these verb classes to provide the functionality you need.

and

2/ a mailet containing spoolmanager entirely self referential apart from standard Java &
j2ee classes, this again would form the basis for an embeddable mailet container and mailet
development suite.

d.