james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Release Plan v2.1
Date Mon, 11 Nov 2002 07:02:37 GMT
Nico,

> I'm willing to help you setup the site using Forrest
> http://xml.apache.org/forrest/.

Thanks for the offer.  :-)

As it happens, I just spent a week at Colorado Software Summit with a friend
from Australia, Dion Gillard, who is a Maven Committer.  It appears to us
that perhaps the best solution, both technically and politically,
*post-release* might be to adopt a combination of Maven and Forrest.

Obviously, any change in the build process will require discussion and
consensus here on the james-dev mailing list, but as with Peter, I'd
certainly like to avoid the Build Tool Wars, so hopefully that sort of
approach would meet with everyone's approval.  Danny seems to like Maven,
and from what Dion has said, it should address build related issues that
Peter has commented upon, as well as provide a nice end-user install
mechanism for optional packages (e.g., optional matcher/mailet sets) in the
James v3 timeframe.

> I will make a Forrest version of the site myself then with no
> time-constraint, and post here the link to the ongoing effort.

I look forward to seeing it.  :-)

Dion has also offered to help the James project convert over to Maven
(again, post-release) *IF* that is what we decide to do, so hopefully the
two of you combined would be able to help us realize the best of both
worlds, again depending upon our project's consensus.  Consensus and
collaboration are generally far more agreeable ways of doing things than the
alternatives.

In any event, I don't expect that there is really much to do about this now
other than discuss post-release options.

FYI, I am still on the road, so my connectivity will be spotty for another
few days.

	--- Noel