james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: JAMES SMTP API sub-project proposal
Date Sat, 23 Nov 2002 05:11:17 GMT
> Unfortunately [embedding] is a limitation of the Avalon framework

Actually, Merlin and Fortress are embeddable or going that way, so I don't
view that as an issue.  Remember, Cocoon embeds inside of Tomcat.

I don't think that the current version of James gets down to quite as trim a
package as we can build a mailet container, but that doesn't mean that we
need a separate codebase.  Let's just accept as a request for v3 that being
able to embed a mailet container is a good thing, and see where that takes
us.

Personally, I have some ideas but we'll see how this falls out.  I will
point out that you appear to be leaning towards making Avalon a part of even
embedded Mailet Containers.  I'm curious to see how Danny and Peter respond.
And, of course, if I am wrong please clarify.

	--- Noel