james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Wrong mail urls produce "silent" exceptions
Date Sat, 23 Nov 2002 18:03:52 GMT
Nicola,

Would you mind greatly giving this to 'zilla?  :-)

I don't think that it is urgent enough to fix for v2.1, do you?  But it
ought to be on the list for fixing when we are out of the code freeze.

And we can make sure to put some FAQ and documentation notes out for this
issue, too.  Do you want to grab the "misleading" log entries so that we can
tell people that IF you see THIS, then it might mean THAT.  :-)

	--- Noel

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2002 11:11
To: James Developers List
Subject: Wrong mail urls produce "silent" exceptions

First of all, thanks for James, I've just set up the latest RC for my
intranet, and I've seen improvements in the ease to set it up. Dunno if
it's me getting better, or better comments in the config file, anyway it
too me almost no time to have it running.

Great job! :-)

Anyway, I set up a DB repository just at the beginning of the transport
stuff, with passthrough, to log all mails.

But I did a wrong thing: my url was "db://maildb/archive"
What happened is that I kept getting the spool get bigger and bigger, as
the errors were piling on top of each other.
I looked in the logs and the error said that there was something wrong
with the query to the db, but it wasn't clear. I understood it only when
rereading the config file comments I understood the terminology, and saw
that I needed to correct the URL.

A more -on the spot- error message and URL checking would have helped.

Anyway, now it seems to be working well, and I'm using jWebmail as a web
frontend in Tomcat 4.1... seems to be working ok :-)