james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Release Plan v2.1
Date Sun, 03 Nov 2002 23:47:28 GMT
Peter,

Two config file items:

 1) Add Danny's patch to sqlResources.xml (and document it for existing
databases)
 2) Increase number of max db connections

I would certainly do #1.  #2 already has a comment telling people to
increase it, but I'd still consider increasing the default from 10 to 20,
since 20 was able to support stress testing with 20 clients and 10 spool
workers.

I would immediately put out a milestone build for all parties willing to act
as test sites.  Consider it a release candidate.

	--- Noel

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter M. Goldstein [mailto:peter_m_goldstein@yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 02, 2002 18:58
To: 'James Developers List'
Subject: RE: Release Plan v2.1

All,

Well, here's my suggested scheduler for release 2.1, given the
developments to this point.  Let me first summarize what we've gotten
done, then what remains to be done before release, and then lay out the
schedule I think is realistic.

We have, at this point, achieved all the code specific goals discussed
in the release plan of September 28th.  We have replaced the
ConnectionHandler infrastructure, addressed the TimeScheduler issue, and
closed all the code specific bugs in item #4 of the earlier release
plan.  We have also made a number of substantial performance and memory
usage improvements over the last month, as well as bringing the NNTP
server into better agreement with the specification.  We've upgraded our
distribution to Phoenix 4.0.1, resolving the logging bug.  The javadocs
have also been brought up to speed.  As far as I can tell, there are no
outstanding code items required for 2.1.  So I'd like to declare code
freeze for this version.

Documentation and testing comprise the bulk of the remaining work.  We
still need to carry out the following documentation tasks:

i) Document the configuration files in toto.  Format the documentation
consistently, as well as vet it for correctness.

ii) Document the top 5 items on the TODO list

iii) Add FetchPOP documentation

iv) Produce a consistent documentation package for the 2.1 version that
details the product services, as well as the basic steps of installation
and configuration.

Build tasks:

i) Build a milestone build for testing.

ii) Adjust the CVS to allow future maintenance of the 2.1 branch while
permitting radical change for the 3.0 revision.

Testing tasks:

i) Run general tests on a variety of platforms.  We've already done a
great deal of testing on both Windows and Linux platforms, but it would
be good to get a great deal more testing done before the official
release.  We should look to our user base for potential testers.

ii) Test TLS support for POP3 and update the status from experimental to
stable.

Marketing tasks:

i) Produce a press release for distribution through channels announcing
both the release of 2.1 and inviting developers to participate in
version 3.0.

ii) Distribute this release through channels (i.e. Slashdot)

iii) Ensure that we are listed on common sites that provide lists of
available mail/news servers.

I'm working on items i, ii, and iv on the documentation task list, as
well as items i and iii on the marketing task list.  Anyone who wants to
step up for any of the other items, please do.  I'd like to ask Danny
specifically to address the milestone build issue, since he has write
access to the web site.  If he can get me such write access, I'd be
happy to build and post the milestone build.

Here's my desired schedule:

November 4th, 2002 - Creation and posting of milestone build

November 4th-17th, 2002 - Testing period.  Aggressive testing of James
under a variety of conditions.

November 8th, 2002 - Documentation freeze, which requires completion of
all documentation tasks.

November 15th, 2002 - Completion of press release, list of sites to
which the release needs to be distributed.  Mail server info sites
should be updated with links at this point.

November 18th, 2002 - Release.  Update of web site to reflect newly
released version.  Distribution of press release to sites should be
completed immediately after release.

How does this sound to everyone?  Danny, what are your thoughts on
making a milestone build?

--Peter