james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Case sensitivity "Bug"?
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2002 00:20:54 GMT
Serge,

Right now we are case sensitive ONLY.  If we are going to maintain case
sensitivity, I think that it has to be as an option.  Danny feels that the
option is important to preserve, and I don't have any reason to argue
against it.  But I don't think that we can be case sensitive ONLY, at least
based upon real-world problems I've seen on my own server.  And we already
do have the option; we just don't expose it to the Mailet API.

By the way, servers that mungle case in transmission are in CLEAR violation
of the RFC.  Only a local host may chose to be case insensitive in
interpreting its own local-parts.

	--- Noel

-----Original Message-----
From: Serge Knystautas [mailto:sergek@lokitech.com]
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2002 18:51
To: James Developers List
Subject: Re: Case sensitivity "Bug"?

Is this really worth supporting?  Given that other servers will mungle
the case, you can't use it reliably to indicate different behavior.  I
can see not mungling addresses as they go through James, but why would
an administrator WANT to enforce this harsh behavior on addresses it
processes?

--
Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies