james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter M. Goldstein" <peter_m_goldst...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Easy protocol logging
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 18:22:53 GMT

Darrell,

> I thought I read something on this list awhile ago where someone had
made
> it
> dead-easy to log all of the wire comms on a socket. This would be very
> helpful to see what was going on, now that I've started connecting
real
> IMAP
> clients to James.
>
> I'm thinking of a SocketManager/ConnectionManager implementation that
> returns
> a logging socket, so that the logging code doesn't need to be in the
> actual
> protocol server at all.
>
> Has anyone tried something like this? Or does someone feel like coding
one
> up
> while I sleep?  :)

Uh, this is not a particularly good idea.

It would introduce regressions - most notably reintroducing the security
holes where passwords were recorded in log files.  Currently the logging
infrastructures for each protocol server are designed to record in the
log all command/replies with the exception of password data and message
content.

Implementing the same logging method as the other protocol services on
IMAP is relatively trivial.

--Peter