james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter M. Goldstein" <peter_m_goldst...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Release mirroring - let's do the release right
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 20:04:58 GMT

Danny,

> > > I suggest the release guys to consider doing the next release
> > following
> > > the above guidelines, and thank the infrastructure team and Stefan
for
> > > the effort taken in being the first and in making the guide :-)
>
> I didn't see this message, FWIW I'm +1 and if you're going to veto
this
> I'd very much like to know why, beyond "additional required effort".

I admit my last message was a tad terse, but I think the basic argument
holds.

To put it mildly, there is a lot that goes into a release.  Some of this
(i.e. documentation, marketing) has largely been skipped in previous
releases.  That's not happening this time, which in the long run will be
a good thing for James.  These things are essential to building a
user/developer community.

But these pieces of the puzzle take work.  And it tends to be work that
developers don't like to do.

So that leaves us where we are today.  Several requests for others to
pick up some of this work have gone largely unheeded.  Noel has done
some - organizing the list of outlets, writing up mailing list
instructions.  You volunteered to do some documentation (FetchPOP) but
never delivered.  I've done the rest.

This is all fine, as we all have different priorities in our lives.  I
am not trying to scold anyone, I'm just laying it out the way it is.
But this does mean that we have to make (or at least try to make)
realistic assessments of what's going to get done, how it will get done,
and how getting that done will affect the release.  Adding additional
work at this point in the release cycle is, in my view, not acceptable.

So, my -1 veto stands.

--Peter