james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Darrell DeBoer <darr...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] Drop @author tags from source files
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 01:03:44 GMT
G'day,

The Avalon project recently voted to remove all author names from source
files, and replace them with the mailing list address. A few ASF members and
long-time Jakarta developers commented on what a good idea this was, Noel
forwarded this to the list:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=james-dev&m=103825695101689&w=2

I think that moving into James3, this would be good for us as well. I'm all
for the notion of "collective code ownership", and I think @author tags make
this a little harder. (I also worry about spambot finding my email address in
the source).

So, I propose the following vote:
<vote>
1) We replace all @author tags in the source with a single line
@author <a href="mailto:james-dev@jakarta.apache.org">James Development
Team</a>

2) We make sure that any author that has had their name removed gets a mention
in the contributors page.
</vote>

We need to come up with a simple policy for adding names to the contributors
page. Maybe simply getting a patch applied would be sufficient..

--
ciao,
Daz