james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest-made James test site - sneak preview
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 08:08:35 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Nicola,
>
> Thanks for your changes.  Here are some additional specifics for your
> consideration:

good :-)

>  - I prefer the left flush menu area from http://www.apache.org/~danny/

Hmmm, given that it has a 3dish look it doesn't play well with the rest
of the skin... why do you prefer it? Maybe because it's long till the
end of the page, or because it doesn't have a space on its left?

>  - I like the indented menu layout from
> http://www.krysalis.org/centipede/beta3/

Ok.

>  - I still prefer the section headings from http://www.apache.org/~danny/

;-)  I wanted to keep the skin more visually lightweight; I'll fix up
something with more solid looking table headers.

>  - I'm ambivalent about the "tabs", but if they are going to be there, I'd
> prefer to see them look more like tabs (overlapped appearance and rounded
> corners).

Rounded corners are there now http://www.krysalis.org/centipede/beta3/
As for overlapping, I think it's more a hastle to do than the effect for
now.

>  - I like a > b > c nav in http://www.krysalis.org/centipede/beta3/

Cool.

> We can talk about colors after you look these others over.  :-)

Yup, exactly.

> What is the current status of proposing a site-wide look?  The look you have
> in Krysalis is rather different from the basic Apache/Jakarta look, or the
> similar look used on the current Avalon site.

Well, the krysalis look is taken from the Forrest look
http://xml.apache.org/forrest/  If you look at the two they are
basically identical except for the font sizes and headings.

The krysalis skin is a tentative to make the forrest skin better, and
most of the changes will reflect to the forrest skin, thus impacting on
incubator.apache.org, xml.apache.org and commons.apache.org.

We are making a CSS-only version of it, and probably that will have a
wider adoption still.

> 	--- Noel

             - verba volant, scripta manent -