james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject FW: Enforcing use of mirrors for jakarta
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 17:41:43 GMT
Are other Committers subscribed to infrastructure@?

In any event, this appears to be a direction that the ASF would like us to
go.  Should we take a look at it right after we've put out v2.1?  Not that
we are much of a resource drain.  :-)

	--- Noel

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin Erenkrantz [mailto:jerenkrantz@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 1:36
To: pmc@jakarta.apache.org
Cc: infrastructure@apache.org
Subject: Enforcing use of mirrors for jakarta

Hello Jakarta PMC,

As you may or may not be aware, there is an effort ongoing within the
ASF to increase the use of our mirrors for downloads.  I believe
people have previously asked the Jakarta PMC for assistance, but, at
the time, the ASF did not have a set of guidelines for projects to
follow.

guidelines that can be used by projects.  While it is not set in
stone, it should be enough to provide a guide for migrating Jakarta
projects over.

Please see:

http://www.apache.org/dev/mirrors.html

What assistance would you need from us (infrastructure-oriented
people) to get each Jakarta project to transition over to this?  Note
that Ant has already begun the transition.

The highest priority should be getting Tomcat 4.0 releases mirrored.
Currently (according to Vadim's graphs[1]), ~25% of the HTTP traffic
is Tomcat 4.0 downloads.  We'd need to move over all tomcat-4.0
downloads under the /dist/jakarta/... directories and start to use a
mirror-oriented download page.  I'm not familiar who to work with on
the Tomcat team and would appreciate any assistance you can offer.

Thanks in advance!  -- justin

[1] http://www.apache.org/~vgritsenko/stats/index.html