james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Serge Knystautas" <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] FetchPOP configuration change
Date Tue, 07 Jan 2003 04:57:05 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Noel J. Bergman" <noel@devtech.com>

> I propose that we some changes to the configuration for FetchPOP.  The
> primary change is to add the SMTP address to the configuration, so that
> FetchPOP knows to what address to send the mail.

Couple of things...
1. Received header does not require RCPT TO.  You'll notice in James we
include the RCPT TO address if only 1 address was specified, but not if
multiple addresses are specified.
2. In terms of recreating the transport data (the Mail data that's not in
the message), here's what the fetchmail home page says:
"Fetchmail can be used as a POP/IMAP-to-SMTP gateway for an entire DNS
domain, collecting mail from a single drop box on an ISP and SMTP-forwarding
it based on header addresses. (We don't really recommend this, though, as it
may lose important envelope-header information. ETRN or a UUCP connection is
better.)"
So I don't think there's much you can do aside from intelligently guessing
at this.
3. What I was hoping we could do with James is have fetchpop3 get
re-architected so it worked like this...
a. the remote mailbox (pop3 or imap4) is mounted somewhere on the mail
repository virtual file system.
b. there is a service running that periodically moves messages from one
virtual file system to the other.
This way you can dump those messages into a given spool or another mailbox
or whatever you want to do.  I already plan to let us mount pop3 and imap
mailboxes in the virtual file system (assuming everyone likes this), and
periodic services would be great to purge old spam or move messages from one
place to another.

Anyway, just some thoughts I thought I'd throw out there.

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/