james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Serge Knystautas" <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Avalon dependance in mailets
Date Tue, 07 Jan 2003 05:39:11 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Serge Sozonoff" <serge@globalbeach.com>

> From a mailet developers point of view,  I would much rather have the DB
> stuff exposed through the Mailet API.
> If you really want to go your own way or need something not provided by
the
> API you still have the freedom to do so.

For the same reason I don't think mailet API needs to specify logging, I
don't think we need to expose DB stuff through it.  There are other standard
approaches to doing this (that while certainly would get used by mailets,
don't need an API).

I think it would be good to flesh out the mailet specification (instead of
relying on an API to do everything), that describes how mailets might log,
get db connections, etc... (and explain the mailet lifecycle, whatever
else...)

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/