james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Serge Knystautas" <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] mailet-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Date Tue, 07 Jan 2003 06:21:01 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Noel J. Bergman" <noel@devtech.com>

> I propose the creation of a mailing list specifically for the Mailet API.
> The Mailet API is already a separate package from James,
org.apache.mailet,
> and the intent is for the Mailet API to be independent from any particular
> Java mail server.
>
> Having a separate list would further the image of the Mailet API as a
> separate entity, encourage its use in mail servers other than James, and
is
> in keeping with the idea to promote James as a TLP, of which stewardship
of
> the Mailet API would be one of the sub-projects.
>
> With the forthcoming plans for Mailet API v3, and enhancing the Mailet API
> to non-portable dependencies, such a list makes sense.
>
> I start off with a +1.

I'm -1 but for different reasons.  If we're doing this under Apache, I don't
see the need to separate the James developers from the mailet specification
discussion (do we really have that much traffic?)

But so what I'm getting at is suggesting we propose this as a JSR  For my
money, specification writing is very different from the Apache way.

I think what Danny is doing to remove our implementation dependencies is
good, but we're still the implementors pushing our own standard.  I'd like
to see us get the main authors from the half-dozen other Java mail servers
out there, along with maybe people from procmail and sieve and whoever else.

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/