james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Harmeet Bedi" <harm...@kodemuse.com>
Subject Re: [V3] Personal Item List
Date Wed, 01 Jan 2003 22:48:55 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Serge Sozonoff" <serge@globalbeach.com>
> All,
>
> > 1.4.1, the JNDI DNS service provider can get the underlying machine's
DNS
> > configuration information... imagine not having to tell people to set
> their
> > DNS servers before starting James. :)
>
> FYI, DnsJava currently does this, we are just not using it that way. One
of
> the things I had thought about for v3 and RemoteDelivery was to clean up
and
> do some work regarding DNS.

Would be good. I was thinking of a upgrade to latest version of DNS Java and
using the API in a better manner. There have been several improvements and
fixes over the last one year in DNS Java library.

> I guess we will need a discussion as to the pros and cons for moving to
the
> JNDI Service provider.
> Maybe we make the DNS service pluggable?

It is a block so it should be possible to switch from one implementation to
another via config file.

Harmeet