james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Avalon dependance in mailets
Date Mon, 06 Jan 2003 16:57:58 GMT
Hi again,

The next thing I'm stuck on is database connections.
Now currently there are a squad of mailets using avalon to get database
connections, however we want to remove avalon dependancies from mailets,
so...

do we either make db connections available through the MailetAPI
or do we force mailets to make other arrangements.

Assuming the first one, which I am, I don't think that we should force
implementations to make db access available, it may not be appropriate for
every case, therefore I'm going to assume that this is an optional feature
of the API and add to mailet context the following:

boolean isDatabaseConnectionProvider()
 and java.sql.Connection getDatabaseConnection(String datasourceName)

so that mailets which require database connections can fail gracefully in
containers which don't support database access.

Any thoughts?

d.