james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Proposal] FetchPOP configuration change
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2003 10:50:25 GMT
> Is there any concern regarding whether or not the the Received
> header might
> not have the proper information?

Yes some, I'm not 100% sure that a "Received" header MUST expose the "RCPT
TO:" address in a "for" line, nor that this would necessarily be a
legitimate mail address of any kind.
Can we reasonably infer that SMTP headers exist simply because mail is
available for download via POP3?
If not, we can read the message "To" & "Cc" headers, if this fails to help
(perhaps it was a bcc) we should catch this in FetchPOP and take some
default action, perhaps indeed have a default alias for unidentifiable
fetched mail.

If, sorry _when_ we get mail parameters we can (possibly, if we can have a
mail object without a recipient) set a parameter to indicate an unsucessful
attempt to parse a recipient address, this can be used in the general
pipeline to filter this mail so that the user controls what happens, rather
than have us impose some arbitrary behaviour. I worry about null pointer (to
recipients) exceptions in this case though.

d.