james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: What Features for 2.2?
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 04:39:14 GMT
> I'd like to propose that we talk about what features
> to put into 2.2, work on those and release 2.2.

Please see http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JamesV2Plans.  I
have not, nor has anyone else, yet updated it for Sergei's proposed changes.

> I feel a little weird bringing this up since I'm so new to the community,
> but I'm seeing a lot of talk about v3 and I'm afraid we're setting
> ourselves up for another year of dev before a release.

I am prepared for v3 to take a year, but I don't expect that it will.  That
all depends upon how much time and effort people are willing to put into it.
In the meantime, we have a very stable v2 codebase, and certainly expect us
to continue to evolve James v2 such as we can do without API changes.

> A feature that I think is really important is an easier way
> to add custom mailets to James, so that we don't have to
> require the user to pack their mailets up in the james.sar.

Definitely on the books for v3.  I don't know if it makes sense to try
retrofiting that type of change into v2.  Serge seems to have some prototype
code for this, and may be the best one to answer.

	--- Noel