james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [Proposal] FetchPOP configuration change
Date Tue, 07 Jan 2003 18:22:41 GMT
Serge,

I agree with your concern regarding whether Received includes the RCPT TO
info.  Please note that I had originally proposed specifying the address
that would be used for the new Mail.  Danny wanted more automatic support
and mentioned Received.  I think that Received is good, but raised the
question regarding the fragility of that contract, and so we've gone circle
and come back to Received providing a default, and a configuration item
providing a fallback.

Personally, I'd like to eventually have much more of fetchmail's range of
configuration items, where it makes sense, but Danny is right to push for
simplicity in terms of what is required.

If someone (e.g., Serge Sozonoff) is really interested in enhancing
FetchPOP, I am fairly sure that Eric would be happy to explain any design
rationale behind things that don't appear documented on the fetchmail web
site (http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/fetchmail/index.html).

Personally, I'm not interested in demuxing enterprise e-mail from a single
mailbox, but I can see how one might want to recreate RCPT TO addresses such
as mailing lists or other.  If I were to use FetchPOP to migrate e-mail from
my personal main mailbox to James, I believe that I'd have a lot to do to
recreate the information that I currently use for client filtering.

> a. the remote mailbox (pop3 or imap4) is mounted somewhere on the mail
>    repository virtual file system.

Interesting idea.  Can't JavaMail do that for us, since we'd be using it as
a client talking to a server?

> I already plan to let us mount pop3 and imap mailboxes in the
> virtual file system (assuming everyone likes this)

I think that now that Danny has started pushing the Mailet API v3
interfaces, the main things that need immediate attention are the Mail and
User repository models.  I am not sure that everyone sees things the same
way, yet.

	--- Noel