james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JNDI Mailet Configuration
Date Sun, 02 Feb 2003 00:13:35 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>You have lost me - can you expand on something for me?
>>           Context myContext = new InitialContext();
>>How does a container control what is in the instance myContext?
>>

>The container can establish both the implementation and population of the
>initial context.  To do this per component is a bit more of an issue.

Its the per component subject I'm thinking about.

>One solution involves playing with
>NamingManager.setInitialContextFactoryBuilder().  You can also play around
>with classloaders.  If this were really of interest, we can snarf code from
>Tomcat, which supports per-webapp contexts, as I understand it.

This seems terribly complicated as compared to the approach of a
component declaring what it needs, and the container supplying this via
some method.

>However, my proposal wasn't an attempt to implement IoC.  Servlets don't see
>separate contexts, and that is the model closest to the Mailet API.

I though we were discussing the mailet API - I'm kind of not sure if I'm
talking about things that have been set in concrete or not -
clarification on this would be helpful.  I'm personally not convinced
that strait out following of the servlet API is the best thing - in fact
I think we can do better than that.  What I am very interested in is the
contract between a mailet and its container (which is more than the
Mailet API itself).  My impression is that part of the puzzle is largely
missing.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell