james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Knauf <akn...@xtra.co.nz>
Subject Re: JNDI Mailet Configuration
Date Sun, 02 Feb 2003 02:34:41 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>You have lost me - can you expand on something for me?
>>           Context myContext = new InitialContext();
>>How does a container control what is in the instance myContext?
>>

>The container can establish both the implementation and population of the
>initial context.  To do this per component is a bit more of an issue.
>
>One solution involves playing with
>NamingManager.setInitialContextFactoryBuilder().

This is direction my thinking has been going, too.  However, there seems
to be a number of ways to achieve the per-mailet context thing.

>You can also play around
>with classloaders.  If this were really of interest, we can snarf code from
>Tomcat, which supports per-webapp contexts, as I understand it.
>
>However, my proposal wasn't an attempt to implement IoC.

The direction that I have taken this proposal is not intended to
implement IOC, either.  One aspect of it realises one benefit of IOC -
IMHO the important one.

>Servlets don't see
>separate contexts, and that is the model closest to the Mailet API.

As far as I am aware, servlets have nothing to do with JNDI.  Is this a
recent addition to the servlet spec?  (I have not written a servlet in
about a year, but I wrote a fair few prior to that.)

ADK