james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Repositories
Date Sun, 02 Feb 2003 04:18:06 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Serge suggested JavaMail as the message stores interface.  I'm not sure what
> the performance is, but we do have the JavaMaildir author to help out, and
> I'm sure that he is familiar with the performance.

Basically I mean to suggest that we take the existing file and database
repositories, and rework/add necessary methods to make them implement
the JavaMail javax.mail.Folder (maybe also implement javax.mail.Store).
  I think this is a good idea for the following reasons:

1. familiarity because it's a standard API

2. makes our store implementations more re-usable (our Store
implementation could be bundled as a separate jar to let a servlet app
access the database store)

3. makes it easier to drop in other mail store implementations

and more importantly...

4. If you look at the functionality/methods we need to add to our
existing mail repository interface to let it support NNTP and IMAP, you
basically have javax.mail.Folder.

> Also, please note that we're not considering JavaMail for the spool.  The
> spooler needs to be high performance, but it will only move the Mail object,
> which have a looser reference to the MimeMessage.  The MimeMessage wouldn't
> move as much as it does in the current scheme, cutting down on that
> overhead.

Agreed... spools require the Mail object, and there's the whole spooling
logic itself which most mail repositories don't need, and there's the
desire to have that implemented separately.

--
Serge Knystautas
President