james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Knauf <akn...@xtra.co.nz>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-james/src/xdocs/images james_config_load_balance.png james_config_secondary.png james_config_smart_host.png
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 09:54:53 GMT
The trouble with PNG in the past has been poor support from microsoft.
 IE has a fair proportion of the browser market cornered and provided
poor support for PNG up until (I think) one of the point versions of
IE4.  The trouble, if I remember correctly, was to do with the treatment
of transparency.

Other browsers - in particular open source browsers - have had good
support for PNG for longer than IE.  This is probably due to the fact
that PNG is an open alternative to GIF.

As far as I know, all major and most minor browsers now have excellent
support for PNG.  Most authoring tools and image manipulation tools have
support, too - although the out of the box windows tools don't.

 All that is left is for graphics libs to catch up.  When last I looked
(over a year ago) java had no support for PNG in its Java2D libs.

If we are talking about using PNG for the James web site, I'm all for
it.  PNG can do stuff that GIF can't (such as transparency) and is free
- unlike GIF.

Cheers

ADK