james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Download jars instead of keeping in CVS?
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 22:55:40 GMT

Danny Angus wrote:
> theres also a jar versioning specification, but it misses the point by being aimed at
applets, and doesn't seem to have been brought forward to reflect the current need for jar
versioning.

>>Having said all that, doesn't this sound familar:
>>http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart/ ?

Danny, it seems that you have a good idea of what you would like to see,
could you give me some pointers, maybe an implementation idea? :-)

You see, the version info *has* to be somewhere, and if it's in the jars
it simply doesn't scale. How can a system scan a remote DB looking in
all the jars till it finds the right one? I don't see practical means of
getting the info fast without externalizing the data, no?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -