james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Download jars instead of keeping in CVS?
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2003 09:12:28 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Nicola,
>
> I suggest that you look again.  Java WebStart is an application launcher,
> but look at the JNLP underneath it.  It is a resource downloading system.
> As they say, and you quoted:
>
> "The software distribution technology is only one aspect of JavaTM Web
> Start.  It also provides security, updates to the applications,
> ease-of-use for end users, and flexibility for developers when they
> create the applications."

It's for "applications". Read on...

>>It cannot be used as-is though. It has no way of defining a jar
>>repository, and it gets resources like this:
>>
>>  <resources>
>>    <j2se version="1.3"/>
>>    <jar href="lib/SwingSet2.jar"/>
>>  </resources>
>

> The version is for the application.  For what you want to do, if each jar
> had resource information in it, the check would be iterative.  For example
> jar that you load, you check the j2se version necessary.

I don't get this (I read the other mail too)...

>>As you see there is no version info, the version info is about the whole
>>JNPL descriptor.
>

> A better example, from my perspective, is:
>
>      <resources>
>        <j2se version="1.2+"/>
>        <jar href="application.jar" version="1.1"/>
>        <jar href="lib.jar" version="2.1"/>
>   </resources>
>
> Because that specifies which version of the jar is necessary.  See also
> version.xml.

Is this in the JNPL spec? Didn't know.

>>There was a bit of misunderstanding here because IIUC you were talking
>>about getting the releases, I was talking about getting the jars for the
>>developers.
>
> Why not use it for both?

I fail to see practical need for it.
Let me explain.

I want to get application.jar version 1.1 from http://mysite.net/
In practice, what do I need JNPL for? Where are the jars placed?

In JNPL I see that it specifies what jars are needed for an app, not how
to make a repository of jars.

I see the need if I say: I want the jars for latest James.
Ok, then I check for the JNPL file of James and it knows what to get...
but then, if I want the jars for James 1.1? Is there a scheme for asking
for a specific version of the app?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -