james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: JNDI Mailet Configuration
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2003 19:08:55 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> I was thinking today, that I understood that you see Avalon as a utility
> system, not a service or component framework. For me mailets are
> services and components, this is why I see Avalon in them. It's natural.

<tangent type="realization">
This is an interesting point, and this really helps me reset my
expectations of Avalon.  I have always viewed Avalon as a server
platform, hence was bothered that it didn't have convenient/solid
logging, usable error messages on configuration problems, no service
installation feature, and etc...  I would call it just a design-pattern
enforcement system (obviously a loaded term).

But what Nicola says makes it much clearer to me... my expectations are
off-base, and the Avalon community IS looking at this project as
primarily a way to make the IoC design pattern much easier to implement
and use.  Like it even says on the home page, "a set of components for
applications written using the Java language," nothing particular about
a generic server platform.

Anyway, complete tangent, but this was a great point to reset my
expectations of what Avalon is.  Thanks.
</tangent>

> Then why not make mailets *extend* the servlet spec? Even if not in
> code, if it's not feasable, at least in practices. IE: How is this done
> with servlets? Ok, do it with mailets too! Like config, logging and all
> that stuff.

Ironically, this is what some guys at java.apache.org proposed long ago
before my original (ugly) code donation.  The servlet group rejected it
then largely because servlets (HTTP) is a request/response model while
mailets (SMTP) are a filtering/queuing/messaging model.  So the
fundamental service() API really didn't mix well, but we kept the
intention of trying to be similar otherwise (part of why we called them
mailets).  You'll see many of the same design (flaws and others) in the
mailet API that are found in the servlet API.

> Politically and consumer-wise it could really be a plus.

I've tossed around the idea of a JSR for mailets, but there are enough
narrow JSRs already, and I don't think we could get as much mileage from
the servlet spec as possible.  In a round-about way, James HAS gotten a
lot of mileage from the servlet spec because it was on the same site as
Tomcat, the reference implementation.  At this point I think following
the same J2EE design patterns will allow us to get traction from that
community even more.  Like you said, it'll be a learning experience if
nothing else.

--
Serge Knystautas
President