james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Knauf <akn...@xtra.co.nz>
Subject Re: JNDI for James
Date Sat, 08 Feb 2003 04:55:12 GMT
I concur with all of this.

Given that org.apache.naming is already packaged separately, I'll grab
the latest stable binary release of the org.apache.naming stuff and use
that, rather than tomcat CVS.

I'll talk over the approach for achieving a better separation of
org.apache.naming from tomcat with Remy. I don't mind doing any
necessary work to achieve that one, because I suspect that some of the
stuff I write ought to end up similarly located.

As for involving Remy, I will certainly pester him with questions, but
only after I have had a bit more of a look into it. (There is nothing
more annoying than questions from someone who has obviously not read the
docs - especially when they ought to know better! I want to avoid
putting myself in that category.) On the surface of things, the naming
code looks like I should be able to just drop it in and fire it up.

I intend to try to knock off a fairly simple phase one in the next few
weeks. This ought to give us a working JNDI tree and a way to put things
in there through the use of a configuration file. I will make this a
separate configuration file to the standard James config.xml, because it
ought to be generally applicable.

Any fancy classloader stuff and context separation can wait until after
this. It will bear a little more thinking about and that is best done
with some experience of the JNDI implementation under our belts.

Lastly, my apologies to anyone (particularly the Avalon crowd) who
thought my obsolescent rut comment was directed at them. It was not
intended that way at all, but seems to have been taken that way. The
intent was simply to point out that making our own build of the naming
stuff and depending on that was a step toward a hard-to-unmaintain codebase.

Cheers

ADK