james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Knauf <akn...@xtra.co.nz>
Subject Release frequency (was Re: Possible Un-caught Exception in SMTPHandler)
Date Sun, 09 Feb 2003 01:53:05 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>That bug was fixed several weeks ago.  We just need to put out v2.1.1.  I'm
>beginning to think that we've beeen making a mistake by holding up its
>release to fix other bugs as they crop up.  We should put it out, and then
>put out other point fixes.

I agree.  Point releases should be made with reasonable regularity.
 However, a balance needs to be struck.  Release too often and your user
base becomes irritated at the hassle of constantly upgrading.  Release
too infrequently and your user base becomes frustrated at the poor
response times for bug fixes.

Perhaps we should aim to do point (bugfix) releases on a set timetable?
 Say, once per month?  This would avoid the chasing-one's-tail scenario
encountered when you try to do a release for every bug fix.  It would
also give developers a clear target to hit for getting their pet bugfix
into the next build.

ADK