james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Knauf <akn...@xtra.co.nz>
Subject FAQ #1 (was Re: Bugzilla 16949)
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:38:36 GMT
We should try making this plainer, somehow.  Sure, we can say that it is
in the docs, and that anyone administering a mail server ought to know
already, but that won't change the fact that we get this problem every
week!  Obviously, the notices we have about this simpy don't do the trick.

Initially, I thought that maybe we ought to make James fail on startup
with a big plain message written to both the log and the console when
there are no DNS servers configured.  Then I realised that that might
get me fired.  We actually use James with no DNS servers in order to
process inbound-only mail, with no possibility of relaying.  I think it
would be good to be able to keep that deployment scenario in our bag of
tricks.

We could, however, tone down the fail on startup to a simple warning in
the log and on the console.  Does anyone have any objections?

Cheers

ADK