james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: JavaMail as the message store
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 10:58:49 GMT
I would like to know whether this would work..

re-write Mail as "public abstract class Mail extends MimeMessage"

then when we write repository implementations we can pass our Mails, and any repositories
we have written can test and cast the messages back to Mails and serialise the metadata.

The issue for me is this:

Noels idea of a meta-data dir is an idea, but what if we're using a mix of repository types,
including db? Most other mail servers I've seen store meta data, often in pairs or three files.

I think I'd rather see this fleshed out as a proposal first, there are too many areas of indecision
appearing; and frankly the present repository system may not be great, but it has evolved
to serve James' requirements.

d.