james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Download jars instead of keeping in CVS?
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 16:36:12 GMT
> Look at the jar manifests we have.  Look at the filenames.
> Which of the two is more uptodate WRT the version? ;-)

You know ... shouldn't there be an Ant task for stamping jar files?
Developers are generally too lazy to do it manually, but if each time my jar
file was built, there was information put in the jar, that'd be good.

Ant and Maven have a lot of information (e.g., from Maven's project file).
They could stick meta-info in the jar file related to declared version,
dependencies, build time, etc.

If we had that, and a very simple standalone installer application, we could
install a complex application pretty easily, e.g.,

  java -jar install.jar james

Yes, we could keep the meta-data elsewhere, but I believe that integrity
suggests that we keep the operational meta-data in the jar files.

It would be pretty cool to have a single, small install.jar, and be able to
install james, cocoon, tomcat, etc., with all of their dependencies.

Having said all that, doesn't this sound familar:
http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart/ ?

	--- Noel