james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cos...@apache.org>
Subject Re: James and Tomcat code sharing
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2003 04:07:21 GMT
On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Costin,
>
> > James IMAP, POP, NNTP servers could benefit a bit from
> > tomcat's low level server components.  With tomcat5
> > moving more to a JMX-based model with less coupling
> > - I'm pretty sure much more could become common.
>
> Would you please elaborate on your thoughts?
>
> The part of tomcat that seems most evident to me for shared use is
> org.apache.naming, which I understand some others have also suggested might
> best be moved into Jakarta-commons to make it more accessible to other
> projects.
>
> JMX could be good.  Avalon has started using MX4J to provide it.  As you
> know, James gets most of its underlying services through Avalon, although
> we're also planning to use JavaMail and JNDI directly.

There are a lot of things that should be close enough.
I'm not very familiar with james - but I assume it also listens on a
socket, uses a thread pool and in general uses all the low level stuff
that tomcat is doing. I assume you support POP and IMAP over SSL - and
the code is probably similar with what tomcat is using.

In general - if the code is designed to be modular and flexible - and
JMX component model provides that - then it should be easy to mix
and match components from tomcat and james. For example take the
IMAP or SMTP MBean and plug it in tomcat connector. Maybe you'll
want to generate POP messages using existing servlets ( I know you
have a mailet concept - but regular servlets could also be used
to provide the content that is exposed via pop/imap ).

I happened to work on a IMAP/POP/SMTP implementation - long ago -
and at that time using a servlet container made a lot of sense.
Mail messages can be easily "wrapped" as HTTP - either generated
or processed by servlets ( and the key is using the existing code
and infrastructure that is deployed in web applications ). Think
about authentication, access control, management, content generation,
etc.

Costin