james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: the future of James
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2003 15:27:19 GMT
Christian Andersson wrote:
 > I think I have seen this idea in here also that james should support
 > more types of messages then just e-mails and news...

Christian,

I will join the community over there.  I use open office at home and
would love groupware available beyond Exchange again.

I'll admit, I think turning James into a "messaging" platform is like
saying we should change Apache HTTPD into a "stateless connection"
platform.  The more you generalize, the less functionality you can
provide.  If the community/industry picks a protocol and goes with it,
then everyone benefits.

That said, you can't *convince* everyone that SMTP (or your protocol
dujour) is what everyone should use.  This has to happen as a result of
some fortunate series of events that prompt enough energy behind a
single protocol to get groundwell there and hopefully a dominance.  So
to that extend, I'm happy to get out there and talk more with people
about their messaging needs.

--
Serge Knystautas
President