james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: MailRepository and their OutOfBox use
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:46:35 GMT
Simplest suggestion is to use JDBC repositories for James, and access them from your webapp
using JDBC.

I believe that the fact that this is possible is probably the main reason that James has never
had to expose any other mechanism for accessing repositories from other apps.

You could cut'n'paste James repository code, but James maintains a lock on messages which
you wouldn't have access to.
Its a long story but it has been kind-of decided that not serialising the lock status to make
it persist, which makes locks all free if James dies, is better in operation than running
the risk of deadlocked messages. If a locked message is removed James will throw an exception,
but this is caught and handled so that nothing breaks, except possibly the routeing of the
missing message.

Plans for v3 include support for common mail file formats, easing the pain of accessing James
repositories from other apps.

d.