james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: NNTP Changes
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2003 04:24:36 GMT
> James seems to be dealing a lot with readers and writers. For example an
> igrep on InternetPrintWriter shows this

POP3Handler and SMTPHandler use InternetPrintWriter to write response codes
to the client.  MimeMessageWrapper uses it to emit Headers.  There may be an
issue there.  Defer for the moment.

> I think it is fine to use Readers and Writers as long as they are used
> consistently.

With one exception, character encodings are not assured to be reversible.

> I favor leaving readers and writers as they are but removing the "ASCII"
> encoding rule for conversion in James code or having a consitent character
> conversion mechanism everywhere over removing Readers and Writers.

Have you looked at the code to see what happens if you don't specify the
encoding?  It doesn't do what you apparently think it does.

> If this is the right approach at least to fix in NNTP
> would be as suggested be Stanislav Mironov

His patch only works because his system uses cyrillic.  Peter is almost
finished making the changes, and will send them to me for integration.

	--- Noel