james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Mystery: Unknown SMTP host exception for a known host
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2003 19:53:41 GMT
Brian,

OK, this may explain for Sun the difference in platform behavior.  I'll
leave JavaMail on this reply to clarify that it is NOT dnsjava, but a
mis-configured DNS zone file to blame.  After this, though, let's take
JAVAMAIL-INTEREST off the recipient list, since this is rapidly drifting OT
for them.  Just reply to the James developers list.

Your reply clarifies the situation nicely.  The target domain is
game.mtonline.org.  If I do an nslookup for the MX records on Windows vs
linux, I get different results.  dig and dnsjava dig show the correct (bad)
results on both platforms.  Bottom line is everything except for Windows
nslookup shows:

  game.mtonline.org.      IN      MX      1 193.95.196.170.

Windows hides the '.' in nslookup  Attempting to connect to that result
gives the UHE on linux, but not on Windows.  I concur with you that it is a
broken DNS zone file, both because of the trailing '.', and because an IP
address in an MX record violates RFC 1035, 3.3.9.  But it is the '.' that
causes the exception.

Thanks Brian.  :-)  Let us know what you think, after you look at it (again,
let's take JavaMail Interest off the recipient list).

	--- Noel