james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject TODO: NNTP Changes
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2003 00:35:21 GMT
We don't want to use a Reader when dealing with message bodies. Readers know
about character encodings, and we don't want to do that for the message
body.

We could take the code that we have for SMTP.  Starting at
SMTPHandler.doDATA(), and going down into the process routines, stripping
out the stuff that is SMTP specific.  We can hide the change within the
NNTPReader class, but we need to change that class' constructor to accept an
InputStream instead of a Reader.

There is a similar problem with writeArticle ... it also uses a Reader.
Again, this is not difficult.  We have the code in POP3Handler.doRETR to
C&P.

I figure that it is a couple of hours worth of work.  Anyone have some time
to work on these changes?

	--- Noel