james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Sid Stuart <...@weaselworks.com>
Subject Implementing Pass/Block lists, comments?
Date Sun, 13 Apr 2003 00:18:32 GMT
Hi,

I've been looking at how to implement a Pass/Block list mechanism in
James. There are a couple of issues I don't understand fully though. The
basic features envisioned for the Pass/Block list are,

    1. Bounce email if it is from a sender on the recipient's block list.
    2. Deliver email to a recipient if is is from a sender on that
user's pass list.
    3. Bounce unknown email back to the sender with a request to put a
user specified pass-phrase in
    the subject line for delivery.
    4. When a user sends a mail to someone, that user is added to the
pass list.

The implementation of the above is straightforward with
matchers/mailets, except for two issues,

    1) How to prevent mail server loops?
       a) Does James already do this somewhere or does this need to be
checked in the local processor?

    2) How to provide HTML management of the Pass/Block lists? The lists
will be stored in
    a database. The user should have the capability to edit those lists
via an HTML interface. I see
    three ways of implementing this feature,
       a) Run Tomcat inside of Phoenix so that it has access to the JDBC
list repository servers. (This
        is daunting.)
       b) Have the JDBC repository servers use database row locking
instead of the james.util.lock
        mechanisms. This would allow the database to be safely updated
from muiltiple VM's.
       c) Use some kind of messaging system.

Of the above HTML management options, I prefer b, but am looking for
feedback on the choices.

Thanks for the time,
Sid