james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Implementing Pass/Block lists, comments?
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:54:06 GMT
Sid Stuart wrote:
> The implementation of the above is straightforward with
> matchers/mailets, except for two issues,
>      1) How to prevent mail server loops?
>       a) Does James already do this somewhere or does this need to be
> checked in the local processor?

There is a RelayLimit, which will prevent a message from bouncing
between two servers multiple times.  As for internal loopback
prevention, James doesn't have anything that does that.

>      2) How to provide HTML management of the Pass/Block lists? The
> lists will be stored in
>    a database. The user should have the capability to edit those lists
> via an HTML interface. I see
>    three ways of implementing this feature,
>       a) Run Tomcat inside of Phoenix so that it has access to the JDBC
> list repository servers. (This
>        is daunting.)
>       b) Have the JDBC repository servers use database row locking
> instead of the james.util.lock
>        mechanisms. This would allow the database to be safely updated
> from muiltiple VM's.
>       c) Use some kind of messaging system.
>
> Of the above HTML management options, I prefer b, but am looking for
> feedback on the choices.

What's the need for the locking?  Isn't it acceptable to have the list
behave with the original data, and then at a fixed point in time have it
changed?  I'm not quite sure why you'd want to block processing while a
user sits on a webpage (or wherever) typing something in.

For the management, I would use some external webserver outside of the
JVM.  Just have it access the database directly to update the lists, and
James can then query the same database tables as required.  No need to
further link the apps.

--
Serge Knystautas
President