james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Sid Stuart <...@weaselworks.com>
Subject Re: Serializing Users in FilesForwarding mail to NNTP
Date Sun, 20 Apr 2003 21:32:21 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>This is something that a lot of us want: the ability to combine mail and
>newsgroups seamlessly.  There are missing tools to do this at the moment.
>We need mailets that understand the NNTP repositories, which are different
>from the mail repositories in James v2.

I don't understand why there are different repositories. The differences
between them seem to be artificial boundries. I believe there should be
a single message repository that provides a unique ID for a message, a
URL to it's storage location and a set of attributes. All the  protocols
should be able to build on that simple structure to provide their services.

I have heard rumours of work being done in this area for James 1.3. Is
there any documentation on the plans for it? (Other than what is in the
wiki.)

Sid