james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Bug 18471
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2003 13:30:55 GMT

> Ahh of course, the problem is not code migration, but data
> migration, hmmm.

Hmm indeed!

> I tried to find some code of how this had been done on earlier
> occasions of
> upgrading the Mailet API, but without luck. Is this really the
> first time the
> serialization format of Mail has changed?

Not exactly, but in principle yes.
This time we have to acknowledge that there is a large userbase who have expressed concern
when upgrading James already about minor incompatibility between repository versions, without
the API changing.

> Okay, what about this approach to readObject/writeObject, that
> would solve the
> problem in a way eliminating the need for a data migration tool:

If it works I see no reason why not to do it this way, So.. if you can produce a method by
which mail in existing repositories can be converted on-the-fly Good! go right ahead.

The way things work are that your changes will be reviewed by some of the comitters to make
sure they are _basically_ OK, then they'll be comitted, and can be modified as time goes on.
In other words its a collaborative process.

Therefore basic functionality is OK for the HEAD if it is sensibly designed and appears to
work, wrinkles can be ironed out in the longer term.

d.